Workshops incorporate audience participation through active means, eliciting discussion while at the same time providing a more "hands-on" approach. For example, a workshop meant to teach painting may guide the audience through the process by having instructors provide directions and feedback to members of the audience as they paint. Another workshop about the game Go may cover the history of the game and teach audience members how to play as they go through examples and ultimately play among themselves.
So, you wanna host a Workshop at Otakon?
Whether you’re brand new to Otakon or you’ve been coming for years, if you have a great deal of knowledge on a subject you would like to share with your fellow Otaku, we welcome your ideas! Please watch this space for updates and instructions concerning submitting your ideas to become an Otakon presenter.
What’s in it for you? Well, aside from the obvious glory of being envied by your friends and perhaps dozens of strangers who come to bask in the light of your knowledge, Otakon presenters qualify for compensated memberships for the con and access to a presenters’ only lounge complete with snacks.
Before submitting an idea for a workshop, ask yourself: will my audience actively participate during my presentation?
If your event would be best suited for an auditorium style room setup, you may wish to submit as a panel.
- Workshops Applications for Otakon 2017 will be accepted until Friday April 7, 2017.
Click Here to Submit a Workshop Application
Keep an eye on this page and be sure to watch our Otakon RSS feed and Twitter page for more updates.
- 18+ content is anything that contains graphic, sexual, overly violent or obscene material which would be unsuitable for minors.
- Otakon is a family event. Therefore, workshopss containing 18+ content will be scheduled late in the evening, generally between the hours of 10PM and 2AM.
- If a workshop submitted as 'not 18+' is found to contain 18+ material, Otakon reserves the right to shut down the workshop in progress. A workshop shut down while in progress will not be considered successfully run and may lead to denial of future workshop submissions as well and the primary presenter being invoiced for the amount of comped membership(s).
If you are unsure of whether the content of your workshop is 18+, it probably is.
Please err on the side of caution.
Materials For Your Workshop:
Most workshops require more than just the standard room equipment that we provide for all presenters. This is not only acceptable, but encouraged. It is important; however, that the Otakon staff know what you plan to bring so that we can prepare accordingly.
Furthermore, Otakorp can provide certain materials necessary for the successful completion of your workshop. We would be more than happy to provide items such as markers, paints, clay, and other, more specialized items like awls.
Be sure to include this information on your application form under the relevant section. Whether you are going to brings things yourself, or whether you hope we can provide them - we have to know!
Workshop Presenter Compensation:
- All selected presenters will be receiving compensated memberships to Otakon
- There is a limit of 3 compensated presenters per workshop. This would comprise the primary presenter and two assistant presenters. You are welcome to have more presenters on stage, however, only 3 will receive compensated memberships to Otakon.
- This means that if your workshop idea is selected for inclusion, you will receive up to 3 pre-con compensated memberships to Otakon 2017. If your idea is selected, the primary presenter will receive instructions regarding how to pre-register for Otakon with a compensated membership.
- In the event that you are unable or unwilling to complete your workshop after redeeming your compensated membership(s), Otakon reserves the right to invoice the primary presenter for the full cost of any compensated membership(s) granted at the time of workshop acceptance.
- If you plan on submitting a workshop application, PLEASE DO NOT PRE-REGISTER! If your application is selected, you will be receiving a compensated membership(s) to Otakon 2017.
- If your application is selected, and you have already pre-registered for Otakon 2017, you will receive a post-convention refund of your Otakon 2017 membership fee after successful completion of your workshop. Instructions for receiving your post-Otakon refund will be provided after Otakon 2017.
For questions not related to submitting a panel for Otakon, you may contact the Panels Department via the Otakon Contact Form.