Virtual Hall Costume Contest Registration
Submission Deadline: July 24, 2020 or when all open spots are filled
Winners Announced at Otakon Online on August 1
Please read the rules carefully as there are some changes for Otakon.online from the general rules, which can be found here.
- Members of Otakon staff are ineligible to compete in the Hall Costume Contest.
- Submissions are limited to North America, and there will be 50 open slots per category. First come, first serve.
- Groups from the same series are welcome to enter. Groups keeping in a theme (Villains group or various Final Fantasies) are welcome but random characters from different series are discouraged.
- Entries will be separated into four categories:
- Youth - individual or group consisting primarily of children 13 years of age and under, as well as their parents, guardians, or other individuals deemed appropriate by the Hall Costume Contest Coordinator. The designer and the primary constructor of the costume must be 13 years of age or younger, as well as any model, unless otherwise approved by the Hall Costume Contest Coordinator. Parents are required to accompany children 13 years of age and younger during the Hall Costume Contest.
- Beginner- Zero to Three major Craftsmanship related awards. This does not include judges’ awards or honorable mentions.
- Intermediate - Four to Six Craftsmanship awards.
- Advanced - Seven or more Craftsmanship awards.
- Costumes that have won any major awards at any convention may not be entered in the Hall Costume Contest unless major (50% or more) work has been improved or worked over with photographic proof of the changes. Please state at time of registering for the contest if you have won an award before.
- Professionals (Those who make 75% or more of their income by working a full-time job involving building or fabricating costumes) may enter but are not eligible to win major prizes. If you are a casual Cosplay Costume seller (You make costumes or pieces and sell them on Ebay/Etsy/etc. or do a few commissions a year), then you are eligible to compete. If you are curious if you are eligible or not, please send us an inquiry and ask.
- Each entry's appropriate category will be determined by its participant with the highest number of cosplay awards won out of the group. For example, an entry consisting of 3 participants with zero major awards won and 1 participant with 4 major awards won will be placed in the Intermediate category.
- Children 13 years and younger will be judged separately in the Youth category.
- You will be asked to submit a "showcase photo" of your cosplay that you would like to appear in the awards and presentation. Please also provide photographer credit for this photo.
- All participants will be required to sign the Otakon Online permission/release/waiver form to participate in the contest. Minors under 18 years of age may participate in the Hall Costume Contests only if a permission/release form signed by the minor's legal guardian is provided. The waiver will be E-mailed to you once this form has been submitted
- All costumes must pertain in some way to a character, object, or otherwise, that is depicted in Japanese/Korean/Chinese anime, manga, anime-style video games, or some other facet of Japanese culture. Original costumes will not be permitted, as the accuracy of the costume is impossible to judge unless it is an interpretation that strongly references the game - for example "Halloween Town Rikku" from Kingdom Hearts and "Steampunk Link" with design elements from the game are acceptable. **PLEASE NOTE: We now accept the following entries: Blizzard Games, MMORGS, Overwatch, World of Warcraft, Heroes of the Storm, etc. **
- Purchased, professionally made, or rented costumes are prohibited. Costumes consisting mostly or entirely of store-bought items are also ineligible. All costumes must be at least 85% handmade. Participants should be prepared to briefly explain the process through which their costume was created.
- Costumes will be judged on a variety of criteria, including craftsmanship and overall effect. The winners will be announced at the end of Otakon.online.
- All entries are strongly encouraged to submit reference material for their costume(s). While we will not turn away entries that do not submit reference material, the absence of reference material could greatly affect your final score. Not all judges know all characters, so it is in everyone's best interest to submit a color picture (or several) if at all possible. The reference should depict the details of the costume you are presenting.
- Contestants may enter only one costume to the Virtual Hall Costume Contest.
- Each contestant may present (wear) one and only one costume, or a group of people may wear one costume at the same time (i.e., a large costume that requires several people inside to move it). One or more designers may design and construct costumes for an individual or for a group who serve as model/models. The group will be considered as one entry.
All decisions of the Hall Costume Contest Coordinator are final, and judges reserve the right to advance an entry to a higher skill level.
Major awards are defined as:
Best of Division (Youth, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)
Best of Show: Otakon Online Virtual Hall Costume Contest
Minor awards are defined as:
Judge’s award (3)
Coordinator Award (1)
Staff award (1)
Honorable mention (3-4)
All submissions must contain the following:
- Your legal name, cosplay handle, email, character name, and the series name.
- Reference images.
- Progress images/videos of you working on the costume.
- 5 photos minimum, 20 max (the more photos you provide, the better it helps us judge your work)
- Outdoor lighting, if possible.
- Full length photos of you wearing the costume that must contain the following:
- Left side
- Right side
- Outdoor lighting, if possible.
- Close up images/video of your costume details and construction that you would show the judges in person such as, but not limited to:
- Inner layers
- Detailed description of how you created your costume, which may be submitted in, but not limited to, the following forms:
- YouTube video
- Google doc
- Website link
Submit Your Registration