Otakon Art Show & Auction
Entry Rules and Requirements
- In accordance with Maryland law, you must be at least 18 years old to register as an artist at Art Show. If you are under 18, you must have your parent/legal guardian present at Art Show with written permission along with their government issued Photo ID. Download the authorization form here: Art Show Agent Authorization Form.
- All art must be the original work of the artist. Artwork or reproductions of work created by other artists will not be accepted unless you are the authorized agent of the original artist. A signed letter of authorization from the original artist along with a photocopy of their government issued photo ID is REQUIRED. Download the authorization form here: Art Show Agent Authorization Form.
- Any and all art which is not an original "one of a kind" work, such as a cel photocopied from the artist's original sketch and painted in, must be clearly marked as such.
- Multiple prints of an artist's original work will NOT be allowed.
- All work submitted to the Art Show must be accompanied by:
- the original artist (or their authorized agent),
- completed Art Show registration forms for both the artist and each piece of art,
- government issued Photo ID,
- and payment for the appropriate fees.
- Submitted material should be able to fit on an art flat (36" by 72"), or stand freely upon a standard table (20" by 68"). Freestanding art must be less than 23" tall. All artwork must be completed before submission.
- Items such as t-shirts, magnets, puppets, and so on, will be considered on a case-by-case basis. While we heartily encourage free expression and exploration into varying media, Otakorp, Inc., at the discretion of the Art Show staff, reserves the right to reject any submitted artwork, or to remove submitted artwork from display.
- Art that is for sale in the Dealer's Room will NOT be accepted for submission in the Art Show. There must be a significant difference between copies that are found elsewhere. A different size or scale than the artwork for sale in the Dealer's Room or Artist Alley might be rejected unless they are signed, numbered, framed or of a different medium as well.Refunds will not be given for artworks in violation of this policy. The final decision lies with the Art Show Division Head.
- Any piece of artwork submitted to the Art Show is for sale or auction.
- Otakorp, Inc. will not be responsible for or defend any claims of trademark or copyright infringement raised against or in connection with artwork submitted for the Art Show.
- By completing and signing an artist registration form, you represent and warrant that you have the right to offer and sell all artwork or other goods submitted to the art show, and that such offering and selling will not infringe upon or violate any copyright, trademark, common law or statutory right of any person, firm or corporation. Further, by signing such artist registration form, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless Otakorp, its successors, licensees and assigns, and the officers, agents, employees, directors and representatives of each, from and against all claims, losses liabilities, judgments, costs, expenses and damages (including without limitation, attorneys' fees and legal costs) in connection with any claim arising out of the offer or sale of the artwork in the art show.
- At-Convention cost of submission is $20 per lot (One lot is up to five pieces of artwork).
- Mail-In cost of submission is $25 and is limited to a single lot (five pieces of artwork). Please see the mail-in info page for more information.
At-Convention Submission Process
- Only the original artist or their authorized agent may submit artwork at Art Show
- Before getting into the Art Show Registration Line, You must fill out the Artist Registration form in its entirety.
- Each piece of artwork being submitted to the show must be accompanied by a completed bidder card, with the medium CLEARLY marked, as well as an indication as to whether or not the piece being submitted is an original or a copy.
- You must fill out either the Quick Sale or the Minimum Bid sections of the Bidder card; NOT BOTH. If both are filled out, the Artwork will be sold at the quick sale price.
- Artists and artwork may be registered ONLY during the listed Hours of Operation. Hours subject to change!
- When registering, you MUST have the following:
- Completed registration forms for both yourself and each individual piece of artwork.
- Government-issued picture ID (your student ID and/or bank card will NOT be accepted) or a 2013 Otakon convention 18+ wrist band.
- Payment for the appropriate fees. ($20 per lot)
- Cash, Visa, and MasterCard are the ONLY acceptable means of payment of submission fees at the Otakon Art Show.(We cannot accept personal checks, Amex, or Discover Card.)
- Upon completion of the Submission Process, the artist will receive a barcode label to be affixed to their convention badge to identify them as an artist. A copy of the same barcode will be affixed to the artist's registration form. (This will allow us to match you with your artwork).
At-Convention Retrieval Process
- Artists may pick up their unsold art ONLY at the times listed in the Hours of Operation section of this packet. On Sunday, the Artist line will be separate from the Bidder line, as those in the Artist line will be picking up their unsold art. Due to popular demand a list of pieces sold (including the price of each piece sold) will be provided. Please note that this list will not contain items that have gone to auction, as this information will not be available at the time of printing.
- Only the original artist or authorized agent may pick up unsold artwork. If the artist is not able to pick up artwork and would like to authorize someone to act as their agent they must provide a signed letter to that effect, along with a photocopy of their government issued pictured ID. All unsold artwork must be signed for.
- Any unsold art left behind after the convention closes on Sunday becomes the property of Otakorp, Inc. and will be disposed of at the discretion of and in a manner chosen by the Art Show staff. NO artwork will be stored.
- Fill out the
artist registration and artwork registration forms in their entirety BEFORE you arrive at Art Show.
- Make sure that you have selected the appropriate bid amount for each piece, and that you have chosen EITHER the Quick Bid or Minimum Bid for each piece. (Please refer to #4 under Submission Process.)
- Please do not cut up the forms! They are designed to be single sheets for the staff to file easily.
- Mount your piece if at all possible. Rolled-up pieces of paper are almost impossible to display attractively (though we will certainly do our best).
- Feel free to have your artwork framed however you wish but please bear in mind that glass is not only quite heavy, it's also very easy to damage. Otakorp, Inc. and the Art Show Staff are not responsible for damaged artwork.
- Cel paintings sell best with a background, even a simple one.
- If your piece is done in ink or pencil or some other easily damaged medium, we recommend protecting it with a layer of fixer or plastic covering.
- Pricing your work for starting bid can be a challenge. We offer this tip: start your bidding on the lower end of what you can stand. You don't want to short-change yourself; however, starting the bidding too high will ensure nobody bids on it at all.
- Have fun at the convention, and especially at Art Show!
Art Show Co-Department Head
410 635 0259
Art Show Co-Department Head
E-mail us through our contact form.